Re: [Xen-devel] set_gdt failing in translated mode

To: "Xen Devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] set_gdt failing in translated mode
From: "Tim Wood" <twwood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:24:32 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:24:30 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12/12/06, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/12/06 8:12 pm, "Tim Wood" <twwood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What segment type are you seeing? Can you dump the offending descriptor? The
likely fix is to ensure that the guest does not poke this particular
descriptor type into its GDT, but if necessary we may be able to make the
descriptor-validation code a little bit more flexible.

 -- Keir

I've attached a full dump of the descriptors checked during restore.
There are 10 that cause errors.  Most of the errors fail the check [b
& _SEGMENT_TYPE) != 0xc00], for example:

#Format: descriptor#  a   b

31 0 C03CA604
80 C007D0F4 C03CA0F4
110 0 C03CAB14
159 0 C03CA618
208 C007D108 C03CA108
238 0 C03CAB28

Some others seem to fail during truncation ( !(b & _SEGMENT_G):
114 0 C00DB604
242 0 C00DB618
370 0 C00DB62C
498 0 C00DB640

I'm not using PAE or 64bit, so I'm not sure why the truncation errors
would be occurring.

The attached file gives all the descriptors and if there was an error

thanks,
Tim