Re: [Xen-devel] Maximum number of domains and NR_IRQS

To: "Carb, Brian A" <Brian.Carb@xxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Maximum number of domains and NR_IRQS
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 06:32:13 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:32:31 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 7/12/06 8:55 pm, "Carb, Brian A" <Brian.Carb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Keir - We changed NR_DYNIRQS to 768 and we were successfully able
> to bring up 200 VMs.
> Can we submit a patch to increase NR_DYNIRQS to 1024?
>

> brian carb - unisys corporation - malvern, pa

We'd take a CONFIG_NR_DYNIRQS patch (i.e., integrate with Kconfig). We'd
also love a patch that would make the IRQ space dynamically growable
(although I'm not sure how much impact this might have on non-xen-specific
irq code). Also potentially useful and easier to implement would be to make
the NR_DYN_IRQS selectable at boot time (i.e., via a boot parameter, or bump
it when the guest realises it is domain 0). But we don't want to change the
default for everyone all the time -- the current value is good for just
about everyone, and growing it just wastes space for most people.

 -- Keir