[Xen-devel] evtchn_upcall_mask for PV-on-HVM

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] evtchn_upcall_mask for PV-on-HVM
From: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:05:03 +0800
Cc: "Jiang, Yunhong" <yunhong.jiang@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 23:05:15 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We seem to find an interesting bug, but not for sure.

Each time before xen returns to hvm domain, it checks
local_events_need_delivery to see whether any events pending and
if yes, inject event by callback_irq into the virtual interrupt
controller.
However, the interesting point is, we never found any place, either in
xen or in PV drivers, to clear evtchn_upcall_mask at any time. The
initial value of evtchn_upcall_mask is 1 which makes
local_events_need_delivery always return 0.

One possible reason why PV drivers still works in HVM is that
platform pci device happens to share irq line with another pci device
within Qemu. In that case, the irq from other pci device may still
bring event back into PV drivers. But can this condition always
promise?

Anyway, we'd like to know whether this is a real bug. If yes, it may
have some impact on performance, and then people may clear the
evtchn_upcall_mask either at domain creation time or at callback_irq
setting time. In any case, this field does nothing for HVM domain since
the latter already has 'rflags.if' for same purpose.

Thanks,
Kevin