Re: [Xen-devel] Monitoring I/O rate for each VMs

To: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Monitoring I/O rate for each VMs
From: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:12:07 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 00:11:59 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 26/11/06 9:49 pm, "Thomas Goirand" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It's nice already, but I'd like to add the I/O rate of each of my VMs as
> well, to know which of them is taking too much bandwidth or hard drives.
> Does one of you know where to get this information?

There are per-vbd read and write stats under
/sys/<path-to-vbd>/statistics/{rd_req,wr_req}

Unfortunately these count requests rather than bytes served. This may be
what you want though, as #requests should be proportional to the number of
expensive disc operations (seeking and settling). Long contiguous requests
are not proportionally more expensive than short ones.

 -- Keir