RE: [Xen-devel] netfront: device eth0 has copying receive path

To: <irwin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] netfront: device eth0 has copying receive path
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:58:44 -0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:59:27 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I am running xen-unstable version 12489.  When I boot a domU kernel I
> receive the message "netfront: device eth0 has copying receive path"
> in the messages as the kernel boots.  Is there a kernel commandline
> option to specify to use the "flipping" receive path?  From my
> searching it appears that "flipping" is (or was) the default for
> para-virtualized domU kernels.  Has this changed in xen-unstable
> (version 12489 was checked in 5 days ago)?

The new improved copying rx path is typically no slower than flipping,
and as we move toward supporting nested pagetables and such like we care
more about avoiding memory fragmentation. I doubt you'll notice any slow
down from using copying, and it will enable a win in the longer run.

Ian