Re: [Xen-devel] HVM guest with file backed disks using loop devices ?

To: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] HVM guest with file backed disks using loop devices ?
From: "Andrew Warfield" <andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:17:06 -0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:17:11 -0800
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=S0TJIDjvzT63JEDfZGmJX7litXhh4GSPqxMcnUkrZgXDJGy85UcunPEMDaGNkMVzPrtmUG4/zLxvm9eOKKrk3HCKyb2jjZ1VqUdwfrniz8c6mvMlNFrkvwFd0InnD305inl0OuomsdchgIHQNTOxO2+yTspq9GYMhO3X6IqmBeU=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ok, that makes sense now. This raises another question though - is it possible
to make the PV-for-HVM drivers work against the blktap backend ? The loop
back driver has bad data integrity issues upon crash & poor performance in
comparison to blktap, so I'd really like to avoid loopback altogether.

So would I.  One reasonably straight-forward option here would be to
just do an xm block-attach in the ioemu block connect stage -- this
will add extra bounces through the kernel, but should work.

An alternate solution would be to build a direct bridge from qemu to
the tapdisk process or the tapdisk driver plugins... likely a bit more
work though.

patches/ideas welcome... ;)

a.