Re: [Xen-devel] Question on xen schedulers

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Question on xen schedulers
From: "John McDermott (US Navy Employee)" <mcdermott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:32:01 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 01:36:14 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Emmanuel asked:

>So, what scenarios do people out there care about?

We'd like to see Xen continue to support pluggable schedulers. If the default scheduler continues to work through the pluggable interface, then people who want more esoteric scheduling can write and plug in their own conforming scheduler. Esoteric schedulers don't have to be part of the Xen source tree. No one else has to maintain the esoteric schedulers and they are isolated from major changes by conforming to the pluggable scheduler interface. If someone else does want to reuse or build on some esoteric scheduler, they can do it without making substantial changes to the rest of Xen. For example, our own work with Xen is focused on supporting things like military-strength non-interference security. To do that, we might want an esoteric scheduler.

--
What is the formal semantics of the one-line program
#include "/dev/tty"

J. P. McDermott                 Building 12
Code 5542                       John.McDermott@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Naval Research Laboratory       Tel:   +1 202.404.8301
Washington, DC 20375, USA       Fax:   +1 202.404.7942