Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] Add support for barriers to blk{back, front} dri

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 01:04:19AM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:

> > ping.  What is the status of this?  Any remaining issues to be solved?
>
> I'd like to hear from the Solaris and BSD folks whether the linux notion
> of a barrier is stronger than used by those OSes (I know at least one OS
> that treats barriers as being between requests rather than implicitly
> both sides of a request as in Linux) and whether they feel that this
> would actually make any practical performance difference).

Sorry we didn't reply earlier, fell off our radar temporarily. We've
looked at the proposal and it looks like it would work for Solaris and
our front/back drivers.

> It would also be good to know whether the other OSes could cope with
> linux's odd way of determining whether barriers are supported (i.e. send
> requests assuming they are and get failures if not).

This should work too, for the reasons Gerd mentioned, or so I'm
informed.

regards
john