Re: [Xen-devel] Error Code on Intel chip when trying to boot hvm

To: Bryan Prosser <Bryan.Prosser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Error Code on Intel chip when trying to boot hvm
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:27:50 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 08:28:45 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 7/11/06 16:17, "Bryan Prosser" <Bryan.Prosser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

For those with any experience with QNX, I am trying to get QNX working with Xen. I've going about it in a similar way as installing windows with Xen, but when I start the guest up to install the OS it hangs on the line:

'Hit Esc for .altboot…….'

Below is the dmesg that I get. Everything seems fine up until the last two lines.

If anyone ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated!

You’ve hit a vmxassist limitation. Looks like there’s an instruction opcode it doesn’t know about. You have a few options:
 1. Work out what’s going wrong and fix vmxassist. This assumes that it really is simply an undecodable opcode and not a more serious problem (vmxassist simply cannot emulate dome details of real mode).
 2. Wait for the new ‘v2e’ method for emulating real mode. This will replace vmxassist with qemu’s full cpu emulator, which will give us much more accurate emulation of real mode. Unfortunately this new approach is not going to be ready imminently.
 3. Try an AMD Pacifica box. It emulates real mode in hardware and does not use vmxassist at all.

 -- Keir