Re: [Xen-devel]Two dead-lock situation occurs on 32bit HVM SMP Windows

To: "Xin, Xiaohui" <xiaohui.xin@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel]Two dead-lock situation occurs on 32bit HVM SMP Windows
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 18:57:40 +0000
Cc: "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@xxxxxxxxx>, "Li, Xin B" <xin.b.li@xxxxxxxxx>, "He, Qing" <qing.he@xxxxxxxxx>, "Mallick, Asit K" <asit.k.mallick@xxxxxxxxx>, "Li, Susie" <susie.li@xxxxxxxxx>, "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 10:58:01 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 4/11/06 1:48 pm, "Xin, Xiaohui" <xiaohui.xin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there anything wrong with the description?
If we’re right, then does the spurious_page_fault() need to hold the BIGLOCK? We have an ugly workaround to decrease the occurring frequency of the spurious_page_fault(), that is we try to map all the 4G P2M table area and fill it with INVALID_MFN accordingly at P2M table allocated time. And with the workaround, the 32bit HVM SMP Windows with PV drivers can now run more smoothly, and can be destroyed successfully. But we have no elegant solution now. :-(

Does anyone have some good suggestions? Any comments are welcome.

The deadlocks were real. I’ve fixed them in xen–unstable changesets 12240 and 12241. Thanks!

The PV drivers should not have been hitting the MMIO region with any regularity however. Is it the LAPIC and IOAPIC that are getting hit? It certainly makes sense to cover hot regions of the P2M table with valid mappings — we should not expect the fault-and-fixup path to be fast. A single extra pagetable with INVALID_MFN just below 4GB would I’m sure speed things up quite a bit!

 -- Keir