RE: [Xen-devel] Task Switching and Xen-SVM

To: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Vivek Mohan" <vivek.mt@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Task Switching and Xen-SVM
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 11:20:45 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 02:21:25 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good point. On the other hand, double-fault is caught by SVM (vmx.c
doesn't seem to do the same here) and debug info printed to the console
before we ship the DF back into the guest, so it should be detectable
what went wrong there.

NMI and MCA shouldn't happen in the guest - at least not in the current
architecture where NMI and MCA are all handled in Xen. Is there a
reasonable cause for this to change anytime soon? [How do we know what
guest cause MCE - as memory related MCE's happen on the processor owning
the memory, and may also be caused by the "memory scrubber". And it
doesn't really make much sense to give MCE's to the guest, as it's
generally a hardware related problem.]

NMI's to guest may make more sense if we take for example performance
counters... Not sure if this is important or not... Performance counting
in the guest is another "interesting" topic where it's hard for the
guest to make sense of the numbers without knowing about the hypervisor,
I think...

--
Mats