Re: [Xen-devel] Meaning of PG_foreign

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Meaning of PG_foreign
From: "Jacob Gorm Hansen" <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 03:45:58 -0700
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 03:46:26 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=JwbgxUPsHX1YAPjmCwMYEbPwk7EKaOFSSNvgenbf6DWx/AkorYp3BZMWcKxu1PajkSNrnT/WdS0g5pwKIEK3cIUawpZkArWdeEzJ7Ilfh7zxRGthD54EiYzNhB5GToKuGPoEuAXZgADX26XyEeiyrHDJM4x3JKprPHkDZHBuF5I=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 10/6/06, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/10/06 10:54, "Jacob Gorm Hansen" <jacobg@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> can I count on all pages in a domU that are changed by Xen, backend
> drivers, or writable pagetable magic, being marked as PG_foreign?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'changed'. But I expect you misunderstand the
meaning of PG_foreign anyway. What it means is 'foreign' from the
point-of-view of Linux's buddy allocator -- i.e., it is a page that actually
comes from a different allocator, which is wanting to hook off of
free_pages(). It doesn't (necessarily) mean that the page is actually from a
foreign virtual machine.

I had a problem with self-checkpoint consistency -- page contents
would change without my knowledge (I would get no page faults, and the
pages did not seem to come from netfront or blkfront drivers), and I
'solved' that in a very ugly way by looping through all pages and
explicitly checkpointing those with the PG_foreign bit set.

The offending pages looked like page tables, they would be all zero,
and then a single entry would somehow sneak in without warning, even
though I was taking care to flush all writable pagetable actions
before taking the checkpoint.

This is in -testing, perhaps I should try -unstable, where writable
page tables are rumoured to have gone away.

Jacob