Re: [Xen-devel] Re: blktap race against xenstore startup

To: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: blktap race against xenstore startup
From: "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 10:36:28 +0100
Cc: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Warfield <andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Julian Chesterfield <jac90@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 02:37:27 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 07:54 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:

> > The problem is not that xenstored is dead: it's alive and running, it
> > just hasn't had the /local/domain tree filled in, so it returns ENOENT.
> > xenstored *is* ready, but that's not enough.
>
> Set a watch on /local/domain and wait for the directory to appear? Not a
> beautiful approach, but better than spinning a few times? :-)

OK, I didn't realise we could set watches on non-existant paths in the
store, but it seems like that should work.

I was wondering if there was a way to synchronise against xend itself,
though: doing it through the store is a little ugly.  But yes, it's
probably better than looping.

Cheers,
 Stephen