RE: [Xen-devel] Some issues in recent ChangeSet.

To: "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Zheng, Jeff" <jeff.zheng@xxxxxxxxx>, "Steven Hand" <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Some issues in recent ChangeSet.
From: "Yu, Ke" <ke.yu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:47:11 +0800
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:47:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 4/9/06 8:19 am, "Yu, Ke" <ke.yu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I also see HVM domain reboot failed again in recent cset.
>>
>> A quick look showes qemu-dm and HV use diferrent MFN to map
>> shared_page after rebooting, this will cause DM event channel
>> binding failure. In my box, DM use mfn 0x2d406  while HV use mfn
>> 0x2d426 to map shared page, they differ 0x20 pages. Looks like
>> xc_get_pfn_list is incorrect after rebooting. I will look into this
>> issue.
>
> Short-term fix: For HVM guests, return frame list by scanning the P2M
> table so you definitely get the frames in the right order (currently
> it always scans the ownership linked list, which actually has no
> guaranteed order).
>
> Long-term fix: Always map HVM guest pages by PFN rather than MFN.
> This will avoid domain0 needing to manually do P->M translations --
> it'll instead happen automatically inside Xen. Much neater.
>
> Overall we should be aiming to get read of get_pfn_list entirely,
> especially for HVM guests.
>
>  -- Keir

Hi Keir,

Please see the attached short-term fix. Hopefully, it can be applied before
3.0.3.

I have tested it with several memory combinations, and all pass:
ia32 guest, ia32 host, 1G guest mem
ia32 pae guest, ia32pae host, 1.5G guest mem,
ia32 guest, ia32e host, 1G guest mem
ia32e guest, ia32e host, 4G guest mem
ia32e guest, ia32e host, 8G guest mem

Best Regards