Re: [Xen-devel] update for x86_64-put-note-sections-into-a-pt_note-segme

To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] update for x86_64-put-note-sections-into-a-pt_note-segment-in-vmlinux.patch
From: Ian Campbell <ian.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 20:59:37 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 13:01:02 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 14:15 +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> Older binutils (prior to 2.16) have a problem with the linker script resulting
> from the change introducing explicit segment maps. Namely does the
> respective linker not properly handle @nobits sections (i.e. .bss) sitting
> between @progbits ones (i.e. .data.*). The .bss section must therefore
> be moved past all initialized sections (as is already the case on i386).
> Replacement patch attached.

I've applied this now. Sorry for the delay, it slipped off my radar...

I'm a little wary of the problem described here
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=115629369729911&w=2 but I
was unable to reproduce it and for now it seems preferable to not
working at all with older binutils.

Ian.