Re: [Xen-devel] XenStore Watch Behavior

Ewan Mellor wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 07:22:52PM -0700, John McCullough wrote:

>>> I am attaching a band-aid style patch for xswatch.  I haven't dug very
>>> far into the xenstore code yet, and I'm not sure how much time I have to
>>> dedicate on this quite yet.
>>>
>>> What this patch addresses is xswatch's tendency to receive watches for
>>> non-xswatch created watches with those tokens.  Is the indended behavior
>>> of read_watch to pick up on all available watches and leave you to
>>> discriminate which to service based on token?
>>>
>> Recently I discovered that my watch and the xswatch were receiving
>> alternating watches (both in python).  Looking at xs_read_watch in
>> tools/xenstore/xs.c, the mutex on the xshandle forces all xs_read_watch
>> calls to take turns.  Given that the python interface shares a single
>> xshandle, this prevents multiple watches.
>>
>> Creating an entirely new xshandle for each use of read_watch works.
>> Moving to a model where the xsutil.xshandle() call creates a new
>> xshandle seems easily supportable, given that xswatch is primarily used,
>> and it keeps a reference to it's own handle.
>
> I'm confused as to what you're trying to do, so perhaps you could start again
> at the top.
>
> xswatch starts a thread, and that thread handles all calls to xs.read_watch,
> and dispatches appropriate callbacks when the watch fires.  I expect that you
> would simply create a new instance of xswatch, and then everything else would
> be handled for you.  What's giving you problems?

>From the top:

I am working on forking hvm domains.  Part of this involves
communicating with the qemu-dm via the xenstore, because it is the most
readily available channel more complicated than the process signals used
for shutdown and save/restore (via Edwin Zhai's patch).

After getting an initial prototype working for the forking, I decided I
would try to create a general purpose communications channel that could
be used to communicate with qemu-dm.  The general use case is sending a
command ("shutdown") and waiting for a completion notification
("shutdown_done").  I am currently using a pair of nodes, one for each
communication direction.  I had initial difficulty in getting watches to
trigger, but I am not trying to solve that right now.

I initially used xswatch in conjunction with a semaphore so that I could
set a watch and block on the semaphore until the watch had triggered.
This worked in the general case.  I decided that I would try to replace
the current domain destruction signal with the "shutdown" command over
the channel. I found that during the destruction sequence, my xswatch
watch was never getting triggered and the semaphore would never get
incremented and waiting for the completion notification would block
indefinitely.

At this point I started looking at xswatch and I thought, unaware of the
xshandle behavior, that I could just use xs.read_watch and achieve
blocking without the use of a semaphore.  So I followed that path and
arrived at the problem with a single xshandle and multiple read_watch
behavior.

Keir Fraser wrote:
> The current behaviour is broken (or, at least, the semantics really make no
> sense at all) if multiple people create 'xs' objects in the same python
> program. A good fix would be to move the handle allocation from
> xshandle_init to xshandle_new. The latter function will have to create a new
> container object to hold the handle value, rather than returning self.
> Watches will then be registered and read in the isolated context of a
> particular caller's object handle, rather than a bogus shared global context
> of all users of the xs library.
>
> This fix should then get things working for your code if you create yourself
> an xs object separate from xswatch's. It only raises the question how you
> then implement a central select loop in your python program that waits on
> the various file handles or sockets created by the various xs objects.

When I began I had to try to extract the semantics from the code.  I
wrote the API section in
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenStoreReference which needs to be
fixed and better explained.  Once we establish what the correct usage
pattern is I will try to reproduce it on the wiki page.

If I use an independently created xshandle in my blocking communication
channel code, it works in all cases.  If I use the xswatch method, it is
failing in the destruction case.

If the usage model that is desired is to use a single xshandle in a
given process, then we should change the semantics and/or document the
relevant functions.  Also, I would like to find out why my watch is not
executing in the destruction case.

A distilled version of the debugging log that I have is:
 (XendDomainInfo:1424) XendDomainInfo.destroyDomain(6)
 (xswatch:65) xswatch triggered on @releaseDomain
 (image:397) hvm shutdown watch unregistered
 (xsblockingchannel:79) waitFor executes and blocks

I haven't been able to get xswatch to trigger on any further writes to
my node in the xenstore via xenstore-write.  My only guess is that
during the domain destruction that all watches within a domain's path
are unwatched.  The surface-level solution that I can think of is to
move the qemu-dm/image destruction earlier in the domain destruction
process.  Are there other solutions?

Regards,
John McCullough