[Xen-devel] credit scheduler

To: Xen Devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] credit scheduler
From: Karl Rister <kmr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:28:08 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:28:38 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
While doing some performance analysis of Xen I have noticed some interesting
behavior of the credit scheduler that I would like to see discussed.

In my most basic test I have a 4 socket dual core Intel box (Paxville) with a
uniprocessor dom0 and 7 uniprocessor domUs.  Each of the domUs is pinned on
its own core with the first core of the system left for dom0.  When running
the credit scheduler the dom0 VCPU will bounce around the system, sometimes
landing on the same thread as one of the domUs or sometimes on one of the
sibling hyperthreads (this appears to happen a majority of the time it
moves).  This is less than ideal when considering cache warmth and the
sharing of CPU resources when the first core of the system is always
available in this configuration.  Does the credit scheduler have any
awareness of cache warmth or CPU siblings when balancing?

I have also seen similar behavior when running tests in the domUs such that
each has its VCPU running at 100% utilization so I believe this behavior to
be fairly uniform.

In my testing I am looking for uniform behavior so I have just been setting
sched=sedf but I would like to move to credit scheduler since it is the new
default. However, until I sort out this behavior I cannot.

Attached is a snapshot of "xm vcpu-list" taken every 5 seconds for 5
measurements to show the dom0 VCPU migration pattern on a system with idle
domains.

--
Karl Rister
IBM Linux Performance Team