RE: [Xen-devel] xend, bridgeutils and nfsroot

To: "Jimi Xenidis" <jimix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] xend, bridgeutils and nfsroot
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 23:01:01 +1000
Cc: xen-ppc-devel <xen-ppc-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 06:01:48 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Since xend brings down the NIC to setup the bridging it makes an
> nfsroot impossible.
> so..
>   1) Am I correct?

Well... if it breaks for you then yet :)
I just assumed that this problem was resolved though...

>   2) Any good workarounds?

Create the bridge in your initramfs, and then change the
'network-script' in xend-config.sxp to call /bin/true, eg:
(network-script /bin/true)

By creating the bridge in your initramfs before you mount the nfs, you
eliminate the problem, at the cost of having to move some of your config
into your initramfs where it is a bit less flexible.

hth

James