RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] New shadow paging code

To: "Tim Deegan" <Tim.Deegan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] [RFC] New shadow paging code
From: "Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh" <aravindh.puthiyaparambil@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 16:36:24 -0400
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:37:02 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim,

I tried out your patch on a 4-way x86_64 ES7000 with 32GB of RAM. I only
tried it with an x86_64 hypervisor.

I was only able to bring up UP x86_32 HVM domains. I used the following
config.

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
builder='hvm'
memory = 256
shadow_memory = 8
name = "winxp"
vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
disk = [ 'file:/mnt/xenlsg/xenimages/winxp.vmg,hda,w' ]
device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
sdl=0
vnc=1
serial='pty'

I tried bringing up as many x86_32 UP WinXP domains as I could. I found
that the qemu-dm process associated with each domain took up 50% cpu. So
when I tried to bring up the 9th domain I go the following error:

Error: Device 768 (vbd) could not be connected. Backend device not
found.

I have attached the output of top and xentop with 8 WinXP domains
running. I also kept seeing a few "(XEN) spurious IRQ irq got=-1
messages."

I was unable to bring up any SMP x86_32 domains. When I tried bringing
up a Win2003 Server with vcpus=2, only one CPU showed up in the domain.
I tried this with various combinations of acpi and apic.

Bringing up a domain with pae=1 crashes the system. I have attached the
output. I tried this with a Win2003 server image.

I could not bring up any x86_64 domains. When I tried a SLES10 x86_64
image I got a message saying "Your CPU does not support long mode. Use a
32-bit distribution"

So in a nutshell:
x86_32  hvm domain boot: pass
x86_32 pae  hvm domain boot: fail
x86_64  hvm domain boot: fail

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,
Aravindh Puthiyaparambil
Xen Development Team
Unisys, Tredyffrin PA