[Xen-devel] Re: A proposal - binary

To: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: A proposal - binary
From: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 00:52:36 +0200
Cc: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jack Lo <jlo@xxxxxxxxxx>, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linux Kernel Mailing List <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>, James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxx, pazke@xxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:53:12 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> For privileged domains that have hardware privileges and need to send
> IPIs or something it might make sense.

Any SMP guest needs IPI support of some sort.

But it is hopefully independent of subarchitectures in the paravirtualized
case.

> doesn't stop Linux from using the provided primitives in any way is
> sees fit.  So it doesn't top evolution in that sense.  What it does stop
> is having the Linux hypervisor interface grow antlers and have new
> hooves grafted onto it.  What it sorely needed in the interface is a way
> to probe

That's the direction the interface is evolving I think (see multiple
entry point discussion)

> and detect optional features that allow it to grow independent
> of one particular hypervisor vendor.

Ok maybe not with options and subsets so far, but one has to
start somewhere.

-Andi