[Xen-devel] Zombie domains

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Zombie domains
From: David Lie <lie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:32:11 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:32:38 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm using the grant table to map a shared frame between two domains. Domain 1 shares the frame, and Domain 2 maps it into it's address space. I then make sure Domain 2 unmaps the frame, and releases all event channels, etc... before shutting down. Domain 2 always remains as a zombie though when I do xm list. If I dump the domain info in the Xen console, I get this information for the zombie domain:

(XEN) General information for domain 12:
(XEN)     flags=6 refcnt=1 nr_pages=0 xenheap_pages=0 dirty_cpus={}
(XEN)     handle=f4a55907-26db-d7c3-f6a7-392637013289
(XEN) Rangesets belonging to domain 12:
(XEN)     Interrupts { }
(XEN)     I/O Memory { }
(XEN)     I/O Ports  { }
(XEN) Memory pages belonging to domain 12:
(XEN) VCPU information and callbacks for domain 12:
(XEN) VCPU0: CPU0 [has=F] flags=10 upcall_pend = 01, upcall_mask = 00 dirty}(XEN) Notifying guest (virq 1, port 0, stat 0/0/-1)

Unfortunately, these fields do not mean very much to me. What does upcall_pend mean? Sometimes this field is 01, sometimes it's 00. What about refcnt? Note that Domain 2 is not running XenoLinux, but something similar to Mini-OS. Can anyone on this list see what might be stopping this domain from shutting down cleanly? If not, is there any documentation as to what these fields mean?

Thanks in advance.

-DL