[Xen-devel] Re: Xen bootloader

John Levon wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 10:12:47PM -0700, yhlu wrote:
>
>> On 7/13/06, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Just floating this for general comment -
>>>
>>> For the bootloader work, we should consider Kboot:
>>> http://kboot.sourceforge.net/
>
> It sounds like this is only going to be usable to boot Linux?

See http://www.suse.de/~kraxel/xen/kexec.html ...

I'm currently at the point that 32bit non-pae kexec works.  The page is
slightly outdated, xenbus and device handover to the next kernel works
meanwhile, i.e. the kexec'ed kernel has working virtual disk and network.

I'll plan to hack up a very simple (i.e. just disk boot, not
interactive) domU boot loader next.  First because it is a useful
application, also it will make turnaround times for kexec testing much
smaller.  Two birds with one stone ;)

The xc_kexec utility re-useses the (rewritten) domain builder code, in
theory it should be able to boot non-linux kernels too, I havn't even
tried that yet though.

stay tuned,

  Gerd

--