Re: [Xen-devel] domU clock over 23s off

On Jul 12, Saku Ytti wrote:

> On (2006-07-12 15:37 +0200), Harald Koenig wrote:
>
> > does running ntp in a domU disable the clock synchronisation between dom0
> > and domU ?
>
> I do this:
> [ytti@xxxxxxx ~]% ssh root@xxxxxxxxxxx "cat /etc/cron.hourly/ntp-hack"
> #!/bin/sh
>
> PATH=/bin
>
> date -s $(date +%H:%M:%S) > /dev/null

thanks for the hint!

indeed, running this on dom0 also sets the clocks for domU.

BUT: it also causes clock jumps up to 0.999 secs every our because it can't
handle fractions of a second.   and it always steps back the time
giving a non-monotonic system time -- too bad :-(((

that's not what time syncronisation and ntp is all about...

I tried to keep the fractions of seconds but this doesn't work:

        # date -s $( date +%H:%M:%S.%N )
        date: invalid date `21:38:53.976633000'

are there other methods  to trigger the time sync (push) between
dom0 and domU without (re-) setting the system time in dom0 ?

looks like I have to live with a jumpy time for now :-(

thanks for your help,

Harald Koenig
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\