Re: [Xen-devel] kernel BUG at net/core/dev.c:1133!

To: Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] kernel BUG at net/core/dev.c:1133!
From: Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 22:06:08 +0200
Cc: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 04:21:34 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Herbert Xu wrote:
> Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Looks like the GSO is involved?
>

> It's certainly what crashed your machine :) It's probably not the
> guilty party though.  Someone is passing through a TSO packet with
> checksum set to something other than CHECKSUM_HW.
>
> I bet it's netfilter and we just never noticed before because real
> NICS would simply corrupt the checksum silently.
>
> Could you confirm that you have netfilter rules (in particular NAT
> rules) and that this goes away if you flush all your netfilter tables?
>
> Patrick, do we really have to zap the checksum on outbound NAT? Could
> we update it instead?

Are you refering to this code in ip_nat_fn()?

        /* If we had a hardware checksum before, it's now invalid */
        if ((*pskb)->ip_summed == CHECKSUM_HW)
                if (skb_checksum_help(*pskb, (out == NULL)))
                        return NF_DROP;

Doing incremental updates should work fine. This is something
I wanted to take care of at some point, but didn't get to it
yet.