Re: [Xen-devel] how to disable the NX flag in a domU?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] how to disable the NX flag in a domU?
From: Hans-Christian Armingeon <mog.johnny@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 12:49:11 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 04:18:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 28. Juni 2006 12:39 schrieb Keir Fraser:

> On 28 Jun 2006, at 10:15, Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:
>
> > I am having problems with an unclean written closed source
> > application, which segfaults by time, because it has executable code
> > on the stack.
> >
> > Is it possible, to disable the NX bit on modern processors for a domU?
> > I know, this is an unclean solution - but it would be a quick fix.
>
> You can specify 'noexec=off' to your domU Linux.

I have

extra = "noexec=off"

in my domU config, but I still get segfaults. I wrote a small program, that
executes a printf on the stack, and it doesn't work. It works fine on x86 - it
executes the printf on the stack.

Do I need to disable the nx flag globally on dom0?

Johnny