RE: [Xen-devel] Why gnttab_grant_foreign_access() can only grantaccess f

To: "Lily Huang" <ushuanglily@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Why gnttab_grant_foreign_access() can only grantaccess for one page?
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:41:57 +0100
Cc: Randy Thelen <rthelen@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 12:42:35 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> hypercall and context switch, then
> whether we can do batch granting will be important to performance.

Yes, only one side of the interface requires hypercalls.

> Ian, you said "grant tables are not typically used to map machine
> contiguous regions". Does Xen provide any mechanism to map contiguous
> regions?

Not as yet as it hasn't been needed. Are you sure the pages you want to
map are machine (as opposed to just guest physical) contiguous.

> Another question: Grant table currently seems to only allow 1024
entries,
> which means a domain may grant remote access on at most 1024 pages.
> However, this may not be enough in some cases. For example, in my
case, I
> need to allow a backend VM to share many pages with frontend. I can
> certainly change the xen code to make the grant table larger. But does
Xen
> has a better way to handle this situation?

There should be a hypercall to grow a domain's grant table. It's been on
the todo list for a while. Want to knock something up?

Thanks,
Ian