Re: [Xen-devel] Where can I find some tutorial or manual on how to use x

To: Nick Logan <nick_logan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Where can I find some tutorial or manual on how to use xenstore?
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:05:26 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jacobg@xxxxxxx, ushuanglily@xxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:05:52 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 12:08:33PM +0100, Nick Logan wrote:

> It's certainly possible, I've used this code as the basis for a new
> driver, which is similar to the vbd driver. The driver starts fine but I
> am unable to have it participate in a domain save/restore. I guess that
> this is because xend is not aware of  the new driver and the open
> devices supported by this driver and hence the driver does not receive
> resume calls when the domain is restored..
>
> Is there any way that a new driver can make it's existance known to xend?

If you've managed to get the driver to start through xend, I'd be surprised if
it's xend's fault that save/restore does not work.

In any case, the main driver integration point is at the bottom of
tools/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py, where you can register a subclass of
xen.xend.server.DevController.py to manage the device.  You also need to make
sure that the driver's config is parsed properly by xm.

Take a look at Julian Chesterfield and Andrew Warfield's recent blktap patches
to see how driver tool integration is done:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-06/msg00738.html

Cheers,

Ewan.