Home Products Support Community News

Re: [Xen-devel] VMX disabled by Feature Control MSR

On 14 Jun 2006, at 13:35, Guillaume Thouvenin wrote:

If the "VMX disabled..." message is displayed, it means that the lock
bit is set to 1. Otherwise we set bit2 to 1. If I try to clear it while
it is set it causes a general-protection fault. Is it possible to modify
before Xen switches from real mode to protected mode?

I will try to modify the arch/x86/boot/x86_64.S

No, it's called a lock bit because it is sticky once set. The intention is presumably to allow OEMs an easy way (in their BIOS) to disable VMX on their systems if they don't want to have to support it.

 -- Keir

Xen-devel mailing list