Re: [Xen-devel] time went backwards

To: "Jan Beulich" <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] time went backwards
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:21:10 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 03:21:33 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 12 Jun 2006, at 10:35, Jan Beulich wrote:

I continue to see occasional 'time went backwards' messages on 3.0-testing on larger systems. Is anyone else seeing such? Have there been any improvements to -unstable that haven't been moved over? If so, can anyone point out the
respective changesets? Thanks, Jan

That would mean cross-cpu jitter of >10ms, when TSCs are resynced every 1s. That's a lot of jitter. I would guess that either we have a bug or something is changing CPU clock frequencies every once in a while (perhaps automatically?). Any idea if the messages correlate with lots of system activity or anything like that?

 -- Keir