[Xen-devel] X86_emulate.c: Shouldn't opcodes like single byte 89 have "M

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] X86_emulate.c: Shouldn't opcodes like single byte 89 have "Mov" modifier?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 22:58:37 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 13:59:19 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm trying to figure out why I see a READ followed by a WRITE on
opcode-stream of 66 89 07, which translates to
        mov  %ax,(%edi)

It looks like entry 0x89 in the single byte table doesn't have the Mov
bit set... So I'm wondering if I'm reading things wrong, or if this
should have a Mov bit...

I'm also wondering about entry 0x8F in the same table - it's got a Mov
prefix, but according to my opcode-table in AMD64 Architecture
Programmers Manual, Vol 3, Rev 3.11, this is a POP instructuion. Opcode
0x8E is a Mov instruction... Is this a "oops, wrong box", or something
else?

Any thoughts?

--
Mats