[Xen-devel] Documentation suggestions and VMX success report...

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Documentation suggestions and VMX success report...
From: "George Styles" <ripnetuk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:48:10 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 02:48:31 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Hi,

   Firstly, thank you for Xen3 - it rocks :)

   Can I contribute some information and suggestions for the manual please?
   1. I have had success using Intel VMX on a 'as shipped' Compaq 1839UK pc
   from PCWorld (UK)... the BIOS has no options to enable VMX, but it appears
   to be enabled anyway. I would have added that to the list on the wiki, but
   its a immutable page.
   2. The manual for Xen 3 still mentions make ARCH=xen which I believe is no
   longer nescesary
   3. It would have been helpful if the manual mentioned that devices that are
   grabbed using pciback.hide are not actually hidden from Dom0, but still work
   in DomU... spend ages trying to work out why they were still visible in Dom0
   (as opposed to Xen2 where they were invisible)
   4. It would be helpful if the manual mentioned that to create a initrd for
   FC5 the following commands are needed:

   depmod 2.6.16.13-xen
   /sbin/mkinitrd /boot/initrd- 2.6.16.13-xen.img 2.6.16.13-xen

   This allows a dd'ed image of FC5 to boot in Xen (non VMX)

   5. Finally, I think there should be a mention of max_loop in the manual. It
   should say that if loop is built into the kernel, you need to add
   max_loop=xx to the kernel boot line in grub, and if its built as a module
   (which it seems to be in testing), you need to add the line

   options loop max_loop=64
   /etc/modprobe.conf
   to increase the max from 8.

   On another note, I want to say that the decision to move to one kernel for
   both dom0 and domU by default, and the inclusion of MUCH more drivers /
   modules by default was a great decision. I have everything I was running
   working with the 'stock xen' kernel now :) i had to build Xen2 kernel loads
   of times to get everything I wanted in it

   thanks

   George