[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] Convert x86/64 Linux to use the new memo

To: Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] Convert x86/64 Linux to use the new memory map hypercall.
From: Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:29:25 -0700
Cc: Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:26:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* Ian Campbell (Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> I'll move linux-2.6-xen-sparse/include/asm-x86_64/e820.h to
> linux-2.6-xen-sparse/include/asm-x86_64/mach-xen/asm/e820.h then the
> native build will pickup the unmodified e820.h.

I looked at that last night, but didn't see the
include/asm-x86_46/mach-xen/asm/ dir being used.
/me looks again
Ok, not sure how I missed it, was clearly past my bedtime ;-)

> >   Also, the upstream changes make the i386 e820 changes
> > less useful from the point of view of minimizing diffs from upstream.
> > For dom0 why not use the machine map to start with?  I don't see the
> > extra value of the two stage map.
>
> The machine map contains the actual physical memory layout, which has no
> relationship with the para-virtual layout, even in dom0.

I was picturing a single sane map from the start.  So proper memory and
other resources.

thanks,
-chris