RE: [Xen-devel] Xenoprof in an HVM domain

To: "Ray Bryant" <raybry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Xenoprof in an HVM domain
From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:44:43 -0700
Cc: "Eranian, Stephane" <stephane.eranian@xxxxxx>, Steve Dobbelstein <steved@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 May 2006 14:46:04 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you partition the perf counters and do not share them you still need
to enable/disable them on context switch. Otherwise you would be
counting events that happen when other domains are running. Probably
saving and restoring counters should not be much more expensive than
disabling/enabling them.
Even if this is not true we could still do lazy save/restore similar to
what is done with FPU registers. Thus we would only need to save and
restore the counters when needed and only the counters being used. If
you use counters in only one domain, overhead with full perf counter
virtualization would be equivalent to your approach with the advantage
of transparency to the guest (no need to ask for resources, etc.). If
you use perf counters in multiple domains you may have additional
overhead of saving/restoring them, but I think that is more than
compensated by a more powerfull abstraction.

I think full virtualization should be the first option. Only if overhead
proves to be very painfull we should consider an alternative. Not the
other way around...
Of course, gathering some data on the overhead of saving/restoring
counters would help clarify this.

Renato