[Xen-devel] MMAP failure after creating an HVM guest

To: "Xen devel list" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] MMAP failure after creating an HVM guest
From: "Dugger, Donald D" <donald.d.dugger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:33:33 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:34:13 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In tracking down an X windows problem I've discovered that an `mmap' on
Dom0 fails after an HVM guest is created.  The problem is with the 2
system calls:

        fd = open("/dev/mem", O_RDWR);
        p = mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, fd, 0);

These calls work fine until after the first HVM guest is created and
then the `mmap' fails with an EFAULT.  Interestingly enough, the `mmap'
works if `/dev/mem' is opened read only and the failure only happens
after the HVM guest goes into protected mode, if you destroy an HVM
Linux guest while it's still in Grub then this `mmap' will still work.

--
Don Dugger
Donald.D.Dugger@xxxxxxxxx