Re: [Xen-devel] iptables causing kernel panic - part II

To: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] iptables causing kernel panic - part II
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:24:11 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:24:30 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 15 May 2006, at 16:35, Matt Ayres wrote:

Here is my trace, I was not able to get the Code line unfortunately so I don't have specific line numbers. I'd like re-confirmation this is not specific to Xen. If it is not I will be sending this over to LKML.

There are no Xen-specific functions in the backtrace. This doesn't mean it isn't a Xen bug (since we make various pervasive functions that are used all over the place) but it does make it less likely. Certainly there's nothing in the backtrace that we can use to track down the bug. We would need a line number, or a kernel image or something like that.

Question on this, swapper seems to be the "process" the majority of the time. Could this be from netfilter conntrack being overallocated for the RAM available to dom0 and since netfilter can't be swapped out it causes a panic... or should the kernel just "know" this and swap out the apps.

"swapper" is a misnomer. Actually that is the idle process, so it simply indicates that the processor was idle when that network interrupt occurred. The swapper is usually called kswapd.

 -- Keir