RE: [Xen-devel] Using arch/x86_64/pci-dma in x86_64 Xen

To: Christian.Limpach@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "Muli Ben-Yehuda" <muli@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Using arch/x86_64/pci-dma in x86_64 Xen
From: "Langsdorf, Mark" <mark.langsdorf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 08:31:09 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 May 2006 06:31:16 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > The mainstream kernel has a clean abstraction layer
> > > with the dma_ops that should be portable to Xen dom0
> > > and domU.  I've started implementing this in a
> > > pci-dma-xen for x86_64 Xen Linux.  Am I stepping on
> > > anyone's toes or
> > > is there anyone I should be co-ordinating this with?
>
> I think that using the dma_ops abstraction layer on x86_64 is
> definitely the way to go.  It's just not clear how the Xen
> specific dma ops should be implemented in the end, whether
> having a common implementation is worthwhile considering that
> it will require glue code to make it fit with the different
> interfaces.

I don't think there's enough differences between the bare
metal dma ops and the Xen dma ops to justify a common
implementation.  Also, the common implementation implies
that each IOMMU interface needs to have some knowledge of
the other interfaces, and I don't think that's sustainable
long term.

-Mark Langsdorf
AMD, Inc.