Re: [Xen-devel] Re: HVM network performance

Steve Dobbelstein

or do we just punt and go for para-virt drivers.

Andi Kleen wrote:

That's the easy and probably fastest way short term, but long term
it's a lot more work (you will need to write drivers for all the old and new guest OS
you want to run to get good performance)

Yes, but given a good back-end driver model, these should be relatively simple. Especially if a couple examples were BSD licensed to kick start the development of these drivers.

Also it's a logistical problem because you'll need to distribute and setup
all these drivers even if they are written.

I would think the performance benefit would greatly outweigh the setup issues. But, what do you mean by 'distribute and setup'?

-- Randy Thelen
Network Appliance