Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] BUG? domU reboot fails when using "pci =

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] BUG? domU reboot fails when using "pci =" option
From: list user <xktnniuymlla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 16:04:28 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 May 2006 16:01:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ryan wrote:
On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 10:53 -0700, list user wrote:

list user wrote:

Additional info.

If xend and xendomains are set to run automatically at boot time via chkconfig the same error occurs, but ONLY when the pci device has been exported to a domU. An "xm list" starts at domid 2, showing that one domU has failed at startup.

Again, the error is familiar, but this time displays on the domain-0 console:

  local variable dev_config referenced before assignment

:m)

Hope that's helpful to someone.

Mike Wright

I'm not quite sure how this python error could be causing your reboot
problem, but you did find a typo in that script. I'll submit a patch for
it to xen-unstable. If you'd like to fix it yourself, just change
dev_config to config.

Thanks Ryan,

I tried the fix but it just gave a different symptom. (same error, different variable)

So... rpm --erase xen JIC there were any ghosts around. Manually removed all traces of xen from the system. Then did a ./install.sh from the xen-3.0.2-2 directory, which had a clean "make world".

The results are the same.

I've found a more generic error about a local variable being used before assignment, but I think it's referring to dev_config.

Again, this only happens on auto-boot or domU reboot, and only when there is a "pci =" line in the domU's definition file.

Any ideas how I can help debug this?

:m)

Did you upgrade your box from xen 2.0.x to xen 3.0.2? That code path is
unlikely to be followed unless you either used an SXP configuration file
(which I didn't think you had done because "pci = ['00:0d.0']" wouldn't
work in an SXP file) or your Xen 3.0.2 installation didn't completely
overwrite all of the Xen 2.0.x files.

Ryan