Home Products Support Community News

[Xen-devel] peth0 received packet on own address

To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] peth0 received packet on own address
From: "Kirk Allan" <kallan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:40:08 -0600
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:40:43 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I've been looking into an issue were in the message file I see:
Apr 28 11:43:10 kdell kernel: peth0: received packet with  own address
as source address

Trying to match the time stamp in the message file to a packet trace
captured by ethereal, I found that the offending packets are of the type
ICMPv6 Multicast Listener Report Message v2, ICMPv6 Neighbor
Solicitation, or ICMPv6 Router Solicitation packets.  It looks like
these packets are sent every time a network interface is brought up.  In
this case it is when peth0 is brought up from the network-bridge script
since the MAC address is fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.  When a peth0 comes up, all
other machines with a peth0 up and running will receive the packets and
log the messages.

Is this an issue of concern?

Xen-devel mailing list