RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Vertualization of Unmodified Operating Systems

To: "Stefan Kaltenbrunner" <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Re: Vertualization of Unmodified Operating Systems
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:13:38 +0100
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dave Feustel <dfeustel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:14:03 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Thanks for the success report. We haven't been testing
> OpenBSD so its
> > useful to hear it works OK.
>
> heh - I actually tried to install NetBSD and FreeBSD too but
> both crash very early in their installer routines.

I expect that the crash is in some grotty real mode code, as a result of
the 'vmxassist' code being incomplete. This code isn't used on AMD-V (it
has h/w support for real mode virtualziation), so it might work.

There are already plans to enhance vmxassist so that it's more complete.

Ian