[Xen-devel] Xen terminology wiki page

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 21:11 +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:

> Ah, well I came up with a reasonably consistent naming scheme some time
> ago. It is commented in one of the interface header files I believe,
> and here it is again:
>   MFN: machine frame number (real host machine address)
>   GPFN: guest pseudo-physical frame number (the illusory contiguous phys
> addr space)
>   GMFN: guest machine frame number (this is the special one -- it's
> ==GPFN for an auto-translated guest, and ==MFN for normal
> paravirtualised guests). It represents what the guest *thinks* are
> MFNs.
>   PFN: a catch-all for any kind of frame number. 'Physical' here can
> mean guest-physical, machine-physical or guest-machine-physical.

FYI, I've put this into a wiki page:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenTerminology . The list should be
expanded to include HVM, SVM, VT(-x, -i), xenbus, xen store, ...

Probably the best approach would be a 1- or 2-line definition, followed
by a link to more details when available (other wiki pages, external web
pages, etc).

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center