[Xen-devel] Xenoprof: getting Oprofile out of timer mode?

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Xenoprof: getting Oprofile out of timer mode?
From: "Andrei Lifchits" <alifchit@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:36:34 -0700
Cc: Gitika Aggarwal <gitika@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 03:13:39 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm having a problem with Xenoprof: I'm trying to profile XenLinux
(2.6.16) on a Pentium III desktop machine, by starting Oprofile
(opcontrol --start). However, when I specify a particular event (with
the --event option), Oprofile says it's in the Timer Mode and cannot
profile events. The Oprofile FAQ says the "lapic" option must be
passed to the kernel at boot time if that happens, but doing so
doesn't change anything for me. I should note that Oprofile (without
Xen support) works fine on this machine under Fedora Core 4 (it
doesn't go into Timer Mode), which implies that the hardware support
is present. Do you know what the problem might be with XenLinux?

Thank you,
Andrei