[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] vdb and vif connection errors

To: Tony Hernandez <ttony.hernandez@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] vdb and vif connection errors
From: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 10:45:20 -0400
Cc: Colin Brown <brownc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 07:46:29 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tony Hernandez wrote:
Colin,
I've had this problem too. I've noticed that if I destroy the domU and then mount the vdb through a loop back, access a file (not sure if this step is necessary, but I do it), then unmount it, I'm able then to start the domU. As for your other questions, I have no idea. On 4/7/06, *Colin Brown* <brownc@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:brownc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I hate intermittent problems ...

    Most of the time, my domUs launch just fine.  But, occasionally I get a
    failure to connect a vdb or vif and the domU fails to completely launch
    ("xm list" shows it is present but no console activity either through
    "xm create -c" or through "xm console").   The log shows a stack trace
    in DevController.py in the area of waiting for hotplug response --
    sometimes a timeout, sometimes an error.  There is usually no indication
    in the main log or the hotplug log as to the ultimate cause.   Usually
    the device is the first vdb in my disk array; but often it's either
    another of the vdb's or a vif.

    I sometimes find it's something I did wrong like mistyping a vdb file
    name, in which case I have no cause for complaint.

This seems to be an old problem re-introduced in Xen 3.0.2. I am experiencing it on my test server. In my specific scenario sometimes a guest won't start properly due to a vbd not "connecting" properly. It occurs only when there is heavy access to xend. Simply waiting until there are no other xm commands running lets the domains start-up. At boot though even with the 5 second delay in starting domains some will exhibit this error. On my side hotplug "cleans" itself and I'm not stuck with a paused domain, a simple xm create starts it right up.

Just a "me too". I'm cross-posting this to xen-devel as I know the developers don't actively monitor the xen-users list as closely.

Thanks,
Matt Ayres