Re: [Xen-devel] 2.6.16 nor FC5 -xenU kernel will start under 3.0-testing

To: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] 2.6.16 nor FC5 -xenU kernel will start under 3.0-testing
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 10:01:00 +0100
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 09:05:19 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 31 Mar 2006, at 22:13, Matt Ayres wrote:

Is not the point of a 3.0 branch that kernels compiled for 3.0.x will run under any version or is there new coded added to both of these kernels that prevent it from running under my older version of Xen? I could see a kernel developed for Xen 3.1 not working with 3.0.x, but my impression was 3.0.x were all meant to be compatible with each other (forward and backward).

If this is not meant to work let me know, otherwise I will open up a bug .

Currently we guarantee that old Xen3 kernels will work as domU on new Xen3 hypervisor, but not vice versa. We understand that the converse will be useful to people (upgrade guest distro but keep existing Xen hypervisor installation) and we want to provide compatibility in both directions in future.

 -- Keir