Re: [Xen-devel] vbd devices stuck in Initialising/InitWait

To: "Christopher S. Aker" <caker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] vbd devices stuck in Initialising/InitWait
From: Ewan Mellor <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:53:20 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:54:53 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 05:34:25PM -0600, Christopher S. Aker wrote:

> Sorry for the cross-post.  I'm looking for advice on where next to debug
> my problem outlined here:
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-03/msg00850.html
>
> Not all vbds are coming up in my domU.  This happens randomly, so
> rebooting a time or two will bring them back, but it's unpredictable.
> Normally it's only the even numbered devices, but I have seen an odd one
> missing.
>
> This can happen regardless of if I specify the devices in a conf file,
> or start a domU paused and add them with block-attach.
>
> Xen-unstable, changeset Sun Mar 26 11:50:39 2006 +0100 9441:30ae67d6e5f0
>
> For a missing device:
> dom0:~# xenstore-read /local/domain/0/backend/vbd/77/770/state
> 2
> dom0:~# xenstore-read /local/domain/77/device/vbd/770/state
> 1
>
> Normally:
> dom0:~# xenstore-read /local/domain/0/backend/vbd/77/769/state
> 4
> dom0:~# xenstore-read /local/domain/77/device/vbd/769/state
> 4
>
> According to the xenbusState values, the frontend is Initialising, and
> the backend is in InitWait.  From my (very basic) understanding of the
> code in the frontend and backend drivers, it looks to me like the
> backend is waiting for the frontend driver to finish initialising and
> switch to XenbusStateInitialised, but that's never happening...

That sounds to me like the guest kernel is crashing or deadlocking.  Do you
see anything on the guest console?  Perhaps you could put #define DEBUG 1 at
the top of blkfront/block.h and xenbus/xenbus_probe.c for your guest kernel,
and try and figure out where it is getting stuck.

Ewan.