[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 14/24] i386 Vmi reboot fixes

To: "Eric W. Biederman" <ebiederm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 14/24] i386 Vmi reboot fixes
From: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:24:14 -0800
Cc: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, Joshua LeVasseur <jtl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pratap Subrahmanyam <pratap@xxxxxxxxxx>, Wim Coekaerts <wim.coekaerts@xxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxx>, Jack Lo <jlo@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Hecht <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>, Linux Kernel Mailing List <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christopher Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Virtualization Mailing List <virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>, Anne Holler <anne@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jyothy Reddy <jreddy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ky Srinivasan <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>, Leendert van Doorn <leendert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Arai <arai@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 10:41:18 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Eric W. Biederman wrote:
Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Huh?  Rebooting through the BIOS and kexec are pretty much mutually exclusive.
Looking at the patch I can't see what you are talking about either.

Let me rephrase - kexec doesn't define calls for machine_shutdown and others that are in arch/i386/kernel/reboot.c. So kexec requires BIOS reboot code to be compiled in, even though the usage of the two is mutually exclusive.

Does kexec successfully work under VMWare?

It should work just fine. But it could expose bugs on either end. I've been monitoring our kexec testing, and I'll be able to help you with any issues that we might find on the Linux side. :)

machine_halt does not want to stop the processor.  It is very much
about killing the kernel and user space but having the software still
linger a little.

I was afraid of that. I can back that change out. The problem I had was that the shutdown code I was running in userspace would not make the syscalls to actually call machine_power_off, but machine_halt instead. Will fix.

Zach