[Xen-devel] [RFC] build configuration

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] [RFC] build configuration
From: Hollis Blanchard <hollisb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:28:09 -0600
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:29:36 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
For the PowerPC merge, one of the issues we're going to run into is build
configuration. Currently we have things hacked in the PPC tree, but I think
this is an opportunity to clean up the existing build options.

I started looking at just the xen subdirectory, and found the following
options scattered beneath there:
    verbose
    debug
    perfc
    perfc_arrays
    crash_debug
    ACM_SECURITY
    XEN_TARGET_X86_PAE
    pae
    supervisor_mode_kernel
    VALIDATE_VT

All of these are truly optional, in that everything builds just fine no matter
what they are set to. I would like to consolidate these into a single
top-level config file. The Linux configuration style is what I know best, so
following that model we would have a collection of default configurations,
which are copied and then modified to the user's preference (I'm thinking
with a text editor, at least for now).

I'm not looking to drag in Linux's Kbuild system, but a top-level text file
full of
    CONFIG_FOO = y
would be converted into a Make include file and a header file.

Later, I would like to use the same system for non-optional things. For
example, PowerPC would set "CONFIG_ACPI = n", while the other architectures
would set it to y.

Thoughts? Has anybody else looked at this? Is there anybody in particular who
knows the current build system relatively well?

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center