[Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 3/24] i386 Vmi interface definition

To: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>, Linux Kernel Mailing List <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Virtualization Mailing List <virtualization@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>, Dan Hecht <dhecht@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Arai <arai@xxxxxxxxxx>, Anne Holler <anne@xxxxxxxxxx>, Pratap Subrahmanyam <pratap@xxxxxxxxxx>, Christopher Li <chrisl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Joshua LeVasseur <jtl@xxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Wright <chrisw@xxxxxxxx>, Rik Van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jyothy Reddy <jreddy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jack Lo <jlo@xxxxxxxxxx>, Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ky Srinivasan <ksrinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>, Wim Coekaerts <wim.coekaerts@xxxxxxxxxx>, Leendert van Doorn <leendert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [RFC, PATCH 3/24] i386 Vmi interface definition
From: Zachary Amsden <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 08:11:21 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:11:28 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 10:01:14AM -0800, Zachary Amsden wrote:
Master definition of VMI interface, including calls, constants, and
interface version.

This is a totally horrible style.  There's absolutely no need to find
your own sized integer types, please use the standard kernel ones.
Also don't use camel case and #pack but rather __attribute__.
Also please avoid // comments.

Also please remove all the historical version garbage, we don't care about
that.

Ugly, isn't it. The collision of two source styles has left some scars. And fixing it is not yet finished. We know about these problems, and we are working on getting rid of them. The historical version garbage is rather important to us internally, and these bits are not yet fully polished, so you get to see it to. I think you'll find us respecting Linux conventions a lot more in the later patches.

Zach