RE: [Xen-devel] Grant tables from dom0 userspace?

To: "Cihula, Joseph" <joseph.cihula@xxxxxxxxx>, "Keir Fraser" <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jacob Gorm Hansen" <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] Grant tables from dom0 userspace?
From: "King, Steven R" <steven.r.king@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 10:46:27 -0800
Cc: Andrew Warfield <andrew.warfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel Devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:47:23 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I agree user-mode mappings would be a very useful addition to Xen.

*** However ***

Following much of Andrew's work in my own driver, I've tried to create
general purpose user-mode mappings based on grant tables.  The results
are unsatisfactory.  You'll encounter some tricky domain crashes that
have been discussed already on this list.  I've hacked around many of
the problems, such as implicit unmapping of grant references, but others
remain.  Some of the issues have no resolution in the grant table
architecture.

If you have something working now, I'd stick with it.

IMHO, before user-mode mappings can be robustly supported, we'll have to
leave grant tables for a fresh approach.

-steve