[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] External modem in domU

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 08:52 -0500, John S Little wrote:
<snip>

> Ryan,
>
> Just to make sure I do this right.  I have two paths that show the
> iopif.py file.  Should I apply the patch in both places or just the
> tools/python/xen/xend/server/iopif.py and recompile the kernel?
>
> The paths that I show are:
> /root/xen-3.0.1/tools/python/build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.3/xen/xend/server/iopif.py
> /root/xen-3.0.1/tools/python/xen/xend/server/iopif.py
>
> Or do I put it in the patches/folder and recompile?
>
> BTW serial ports are enabled in the kernel as a module.  They  are also
> enabled in Xen via XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS which is automatic when  [*]
> Privileged Guest (domain 0) is selected.  (At least that's the way I
> understand it).  Serial port irq sharing is not enabled.  Do I need to
> enable that?
>
> Thanks,
> John

I think you want to do the following to patch your files:

cd /root/xen-3.0.1
patch -p1 < /path/to/wherever/you/put/the.patch

That should automatically patch the correct files (they're under
tools/python/xen/). When you're done, do the following

cd /root/xen-3.0.1/tools/
make
make install

And then restart xend however your distribution expects you to do it
(usually '/etc/init.d/xend restart').

I don't think you need the serial port IRQ sharing enabled since you
won't be sharing the IRQ with anything within your guest, but I'm not
100% sure what that option does. If it doesn't work one way, I guess try
it the other.

Ryan